Thursday, October 10, 2013

Unsweetened (Pumpkin) Apple Butter

You only need five (5) Ingredients:
3 large (48 oz) containers unsweetened applesauce
1 large can (29 oz) pure pumpkin
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Empty the can of pumpkin  and 2 of the applesauce's into crock-pot (Do not throw away 2 of the applesauce containers. Wash, and refill with your finished product). Add  the above spices and stir. Add more applesauce till you are about 1 inch from the top. Stir again.

Heat on high (**with wooden spoon under lid) for approx 4 hours, then stir.
Turn on low overnight. Keep wooden spoon under lid during the whole cooking process.
Stir again in morning. You apple butter will be thicker and darker than when you started. Add more applesauce till it is back up to an inch from top. Cook on low all day...for a total of about 24 hours.
Let cool. Makes two large applesauce containers or around 100 ounces. I kept one large container for our house and divided the rest into smaller jars for gifts.

I use this in my stir-fry to mix a sweet with savory taste...its delish! I use it in my pumpkin protein bars instead of the applesauce it calls for. I add it to my "clean" granola as one of the wet ingredients. I take one cup of apple butter with 1 scoop vanilla protein powder and top it on a rice cake with sliced bananas...can you say AMAZING!!

**Placing the spoon under the lid will help the liquid evaporate overnight.

No comments: