Thursday, January 22, 2009

The five love languages

In cleaning my house, I found this great little book called "Lists to Live By for every Married Couple". I thought I would share the first list called "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. (I know the last few months of living with me and my crazy hormones have not been easy, so I vow to Sean and myself that I will put these five love languages into action.)

1. Words of Affirmation: Compliments, words of encouragement, and requests rather than demands affirm the self worth of your spouse.
2. Quality Time: Spending quality time together through, sharing, listening, and participating in joint meaningful activities communicates that we truly care for and enjoy each other.
3. Receiving Gifts: Gifts are tangible symbols of love, whether they are items you purchased or made or are merely your own presence made available to your spouse. Gifts demonstrate that you care, and the represent the value of the relationship.
4. Acts of Service: Criticism of your spouse's failure to do things for you may be an indication that "acts of service" is your primary love language. Acts of service should never be coerced but should be freely given and received, and completed as requested.
5. Physical Touch: Physical touch, as a gesture of love, reaches to the depths of our being. As a love language, it is a powerful form of communication-from the smallest touch on the shoulder to the most passionate kiss.

xoxo
nikki
ps i love you seany

No comments: